Saturday, October 8, 2011

That was a long hot summer...

It finally cooled off this week!  I'm not completely bothered by the heat, I continued hiking even on the hottest days.  The difference is that I have some hiking companions now that it's not lava hot outside. 
That's Red Mountain in the left third of the shot in the distance.  From a distance, the desert looks brown and dead but as you can see there is lots of greenery out here when  you get close to it. 
Shaw is keeping hydrated.
I'd be interested to know what the forces were that cracked this rock in such an orderly way.  It looks as if somebody stacked these square rocks up deliberately.
 Another water break.
Scenery- this rock looks like a coyote howling at the moon.  It's amazing how much diversity there is in a 3 mile hike just turning the camera to the left or to the right.  We live in a beautiful state and it's a great thing to live in a city where can we drive a short 10 minutes to get to this. 
 That's Four Peaks in the distance- looks like a storm brewing up in the high country. 
 Almost back to the car.

1 comment:

  1. I like you description - lava hot. I love not having to hike at 4 am to beat the heat now.
    I spent the day in Flagstaff hiking today and had a long sleeve flannel shirt on and was still a bit chilly. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete