Friday, April 22, 2011

Guess what me and Shaw did..

Any guesses? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
We rented a Rhino for a few hours and went on an across-the-desert adventure.
There's our car parked at the edge of civilization and we are ready to embark. There were about 20 people who rented off-road vehicles and quads. We were the first to leave which was fine because we didn't have to contend with anybody elses dust.
This is one end of the off-road area beside the Verde River. It was flowing quite nicely. I was a bit lost because we got there so quickly I didn't think we could possibly be at the end of the road and I had to really study the map to realize that we had made it. We went about 25 miles round trip.
Out there in the middle of nowhere, there was no one to snap a picture for us. My arm is the length that it is and so this is what I got.
I told an industry mate last night that I was going to do this today and she said that it was going to cost me $100k. She owns a couple of quads and one of these and a trailer and the insurance and the super-duper suspension etc etc... it's addictively fun and it adds up.

I've never driven one of these but I did own a motorcycle 25 years ago. Off-roading is inherently dangerous but these machines are built for such things and I was really pleased with how quickly I could get a feel for what it could do. It handled very well and was very stable- I even climbed over some serious rocks.

It was a perfect day and the perfect travel companion and absolutely one of the funnest things one can do... but I caught my limit. Maybe I can rent a couple of these a couple of times a year and I'll be fine with that. That was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment